This is Jon David Lowe for Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts, I am hoping that all of us has a few life time friends that I’ve known us through the accomplishments and annoyances, the beginnings of something the chapter ending, the fears and the glories, the highs and the lows, the meandering negotiations, the ordinary preciousness of quiet reflections, the sublime times, the unique voyages, wandering, yearnings with zeal of our crazy journey called life. I’ve mentioned some of them in my blogs before. Along with these longer known friends are those that come into our lives at just the right time to encourage us to be more than we are. This artwork was inspired by them.
“Never judge someone by the way he looks or a book by the way it is covered; for inside those tattered pages, there’s a lot to be discovered.” -Steve Cosgroves
This art work is a second “collab” with PM Artist Studio and the dynamic duo of Patricia and Mariah. I am using gel print with nested circles and a broken squares stencil, lovingly sent to me to use as I felt best. It will also highlight the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts pieces I have
Some blog post are like those comfortable gatherings with forever friends, others are like an introvert going to a multi media extravaganza, awkward and exhausting. The process for this project is the later. Put on your seat belts, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.
1. Gather Supplies.
2. Cut Pieces of Bookboard That are Slightly Larger than the GSLC Layered Frames.
3. Use These Pieces to Cut Pieces of Gifted Gel Print Paper.
4. Use Turquoise Stencil Butter and Acrylic Hazelnut Paint to Paint Bottom Portion of Layered Frame.
5. Use Black Embossing Paste and Gold Design Creme to Paint the Top Portion of GSLC Layered Frames.
6. Use Weldbond to Glue GSLC Frames Together, Dry Fully Flatted and Weighted Down.
7. Use Weldbond to Glue Down Gifted Gel Print Paper Pieces on Outside Covers of Book.
8. Glue Magazine Collage Pages and Strips of Gifted Gel Print Paper to Inside Covers Using a UHU Gluestick.
9. Use a UHU Gluestick to Glue Tyvek to Book Spine.
10. Paint Spine with Turquoise Stencil Butter and Acrylic Hazelnut Paint.
11. Use Sanding Block to Distress Edges of Book Covers.
12. Use THz Mermaid Lagoon and Rusty Hinge Distress Stains to Add Some Colored to the Sanded Edges.
13. Seal Everything With ArtDeco Matte Varnish Gel.
14. Use and Awl and Spine Template to Put Holes Into Spine Protecting Table with Art Foam Sheets.
15. Use Weldbond To Glue GSLC Layered Frames to Front Covers.
16. Choose Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Hypercium Berries you Want Highlighted.
17. Paint Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Hypercium Berries With Neon Paints.
18. Use Gloss Accents to Add Dimension to Berries, Dry Flat and Fully.
19. Paint Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Catweed Shape Set With Neon Paints.
20. Cut Out Portion of Used Broken Square Stencil.
21. Glue Catweed and Stencil on Inside of Book Covers with Weldbond.
22. Glue Dried Hypercium Berries to Front Covers with Weldbond Flattened and Pressed Down.
23. Use Micro Screws and Screwdriver to Add Miniature Hinges to Connect Book Parts Together.
24. Use Wire Cutter to Cut off Screw Tips and Sand Down with a File.
25. Distress Covers with Rust Paste, Turquoise Stencil Butter, Black Embossing Paste and Acrylic Hazelnut Paint.
26. Seal With a Stain of Golden Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold and Gold Green Acrylic Paint and Matte Varnish Gel.
27. Add Detailing with a Turquoise Marker.
28. Add Even More Details with Liquid Pearl Dots.
29. Cut Pictorial and Plane Papers to Fit into Book.
30. Make a Pages Template with a Scrap Piece of Paper.
31. Use an Awl and a Book Cradle to Punch Holes Into Book Signatures.
32. Add a Vintage Button and Deerskin Lace to Front and Back Covers.
33. Sew Signatures Into Book With Nylon Thread and a Needle.
Some Final Thoughts.
I told you it was going to be a bumpy ride, I’m grateful that you’ve read this far. I am calling this a gratitude journal, although I won’t be using as one. I will probably add it to my inventory and sell it at upcoming show.
There are many friends I am grateful for through the years, I will try to remember them all and honor them in my life, here I will mention but a few and none by name.
Fun Loving Coworkers from Friendly’s at Lycoming Mall. My Youth Group Buddies form Moreland Baptist Church. My many College Companions. A borrowed friend from a college roommate. A misunderstood first impression becoming a brother from another mother. Church friends from various congregations. Bible Study Cohorts. Neighborhood Families. Lifters of the Light, Mindfulness Musketeers. Summer Sojourners. Room Enhancers and Encouragers of my Craft. Hiking Husbands. Cellar Dweller to Czech-Slovakia Spring Break Memories. Kayaking Coworkers. Royalty Ragers. Artist Allies. Soul Mate Partners. Gladyses. Patron Saints, Collectors of my Art. Keeper of Secrets, Confidants of My Heart.
-A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden. -unknown
-Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.
-Good Friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they’re always there -unknown
– There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met-Jim Henson
-A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.
-The real test of friendship is: can you literally do nothing with the other person. Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple. -Eugene Kennedy
-I have learned to be with those I like is enough. -Walt Whitman
-As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend. -King Solomon
Supplies: Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Layered Frames, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Catweed Shape Set, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Hypercium Berries, Gifted Gel Print Art Paper, Chipboard, Cutter, Turquoise Stencil Butter, Acrylic Hazelnut Paint, Black Embossing Paste, Gold Design Creme, Weldbond, Magazine Collage Pages, UHU Gluestick, Paintbrush, Tyvek, Sanding Block, THz Distress Stain Mermaid Lagoon and Rusty Hinge, ArtDeco Matte Varnish Gel, Awl, Fun Foam Sheets, Spine Template, Fluorescent Neon Acrylic Paints, Glossy Accents, Scissors, Micro Screws, Screwdriver, Miniature Hinges, Wire Cutters, File, Rust Paste, Golden Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold and Gold Green Acrylic Paint, Turquoise Marker, Liquid Pearls, Pictorial Papers, Plain Papers, Book Cradle, Vintage Button, Deerskin Lace, Nylon Thread, Needle,
I cannot wait to see your interpretation of this project. Share it on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Craft Group Page on Facebook. I would love to see what new creations you are working on!